Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Where There's Smoke There's Fire

I'm not a scientific sort at all, but I suspect there may be some crafty people out there who read this blog, or at least people who read this blog and have connections to crafty people, so the idea is yours for the taking. I simply ask that when you're a gazillionaire and David Letterman is interviewing you about the invention that changed the world, mention that you got the idea from Swankette.

Would somebody, please, pretty please, with sugar and a cherry on top, invent a smoke detector that can distinguish from "my house is burning down and I need to get outside NOW" smoke and "I'm pan frying pork chops in the kitchen for dinner" smoke? I'm pretty confident it would save lives.

In the former apartment I used to routinely take the batteries out of the smoke detectors and forget to put them back in for weeks at a time. Tonight it took Sweetie and I a few minutes to figure out where the sound was coming from. Because apparently the smoke detector in the kitchen isn't functioning at the moment, and the smoke detector back by the bedroom sounds like a dying cow.

In the meantime, I'll be replacing batteries and/or detectors momentarily. The kitchen detector really should be functional, at least when I deem it's OK for it to have batteries in it. And if there really were a fire in the middle of the night, and the smoke detector outside the bedroom were my chance at safety, I fear I would have dreams about freakish cows rather than wake up and get out of the house.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Oh, Lordy, amen. Better still would be if it could make a "get out of the house" noise for danger-smoke and a "dinner's ready" noise for food-smoke.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Shannin said...

I've learned to change the batteries every time we flip the clocks. They may not need it but I don't have to worry about them sounding like dying cows.

6:09 PM  
Blogger lemming said...

I'd echo Shannin - that's what Dear Abby always puts in her columns. Who am I to argue with Dear Aby? (OK, OK, but you get my point...) (grins)

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home