Sunday, December 18, 2005

Blizzard 2005

Portland saw a mix of snow and freezing rain today. Last night the forecasters were suggesting it would hit Portland between 5-8 pm, which would have been time for us to leave had we not already been on the road.

However, it actually hit around 1:30 pm, which forced us to leave Carbfest '05 much earlier than planned. We might have been in the middle of conversations, in fact. (If we were, and it was with you, we humbly apologize). One of the guests showed up with the announcement that there was snow outside. That grabbed the attention of Sweetie and myself, as well as BDMama, since we both had drives ahead of us. When the host of the party suggested they needed salt for the front walk and the snow was sticking on the road, it was time for us to hit the road. Before nearly enough carbs were consumed.

The roads were slick, but travelable. I was driving, as I had no desire to try to give directions to Sweetie while he was dealing with the weather and such. Especially since I was planning our best route as we went.... no WAY was I going anywhere NEAR the Hawthorne bridge with snow and ice on the road.

The second phone call from Mom came right before we made it to Jantzen Beach. The first had come while we were carbo-loading, while the phone was in the trunk, to alert us that there had been a special announcement on the television about the weather, and we should skip town as soon as we could.

I'm quite sure my mother was biting her fingernails from the time of that first call, until we called her from north of Vancouver to announce we were past the weather. We hit another patch of weather, but once we hit Kelso it was smooth sailing, and the temperature was never lower than 35. I was very glad to have Sweetie by my side through it, if for no other reason than he could take over driving in Kelso, since driving in snowy, windy weather can be quite tiring.

And so we have survived Blizzard 2005! It was a balmy 42 degrees out when we got back to Seattle.

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Oh good. No mishaps. BDMama called and let us know she made it back to the farm a couple hours after leaving.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Shannin said...

I don't mind driving in snow, but I hate ice - especially icy sleet. Ugh. Glad you got home safely...

5:05 PM  
Blogger Jess. said...

Yea, it was a fun drive. Not! Slipping on 99W through Tigard and inching up and down Rex Hill at 5 mph was exhausting. At least my kiddo new to be quiet when I was stressed out about it.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home