Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Where I Get It From...

If you know me you know I get a little nuts about Christmas. But if you've met my Mom you know where I got it from. If you'e been to my Mom's house at Christmas you know I'm downright sane next to her.

My Mom is a Christmas FREAK. Not only is there the tree, and the lights, and the standard decorations, but every little knick-knack she owns gets replaced by a Christmas version during the holidays. Her dishes, flatware and glasses get swapped out for Christmas china. Seriously, it's a disease.

For years she's been claiming she's going to break the habit. "Oh, I'm not going to decorate much this year." But every year it's the same. She starts out with just the basics. But then, slowly, it overcomes her, and the house oozes Christmas from her every pore.

My parents bought an artificial tree this year. It's a battle they've been fighting for a while now. Mom considers it the first step in her twelve-step program, but really it's just another form of co-dependency. The fake tree is because they will be heading out of town for five days, so it would be dangerous to put a real tree up now, and when they return they will not have time to put one up. So rather than just not having a tree, they have to buy a fake tree so as to fully Christmas-ize the house.

Want proof of how over the top she is? I asked my Mom what she wanted for Christmas this evening. Her answer: a water pitcher that will coordinate with the Christmas glasses.

The scariest part: One day, it will all be mine. At least Sweetie and I can retire off the money the ornaments will bring in.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shannin said...

We used to do the full on Christmas when I was growing up. It was mostly my dad, but we all got into the spirit. I do a few things because Don has a little grinch in him and I can only get him to help on one or two projects (outdoor lights and he can't get on a ladder and putting up the tree).

3:46 PM  
Blogger Army of Mom said...

I'm a Christmas nut, too.

Did you go do the Christmas nursery tour from the story I sent about all their events, decorations, etc?

www.armyofmom.com

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home