Monday, December 26, 2005

I Am the Champion My Friends....

A Belated Merry December 25th, however you chose to celebrate it.

Our holidays this year have had their downside, with my father-in-law ending up in the hospital (Sweetie tells the whole story here), but he's looking good and they haven't found anything really wrong with him as of yet, although there are still more tests to be done. It's events like this that make me truly thankful for what I have, and so glad that I got myself not only a fabulous husband, but a wonderful family-in-law as well. Coming from a small family - with a father who hasn't associated with his family for who knows how long, and a mother that was an only child whose cousins live 2,000 miles away - it's taken some getting used to being part of such a large family.

But that is not why I am up late blogging this evening. Apparently I must have been an extra-good girl this year, because Santa not only blessed me with wonderful family all around, and some fabulous presents this year from said family, but on Christmas Day I officially became the World Champion of my fantasy football league in my inaugural season.

Sweetie has played fantasy football for a very long time - something like 15 years. I've rooted for his team the last few years, but he asked if I'd be interested in joining the league if a spot became available for this season. I'm not a HUGE football fan, but everyone I knew who is in the league is lots of fun, and I figured even if I lost I could get some laughs out of the deal, so agreed to do it.

The league expanded from 8-10 teams this year to accomodate myself and some other folks that wanted to join (there were three new team owners interested in joining, and one owner retiring, so the math wasn't going to work out otherwsie). Due to the circumstances, I was one of the "expansion" teams. As an expansion team owner who knows nil about fantasy football my goal this year was to "not make a fool of myself." And after winning my first game, I figured that I'd met that goal. Seriously, I was afraid I would not win a single game this season.

But then I kept winning. And winning. And winning some more. I had a couple of stumbles along the way (three losses and one tie), but every week I somehow managed to sneak by. A lot of it was dumb luck, as much of my team managed to get injured at the same time, but I had good matchups most of those weeks and squeaked by.

The other expansion team has done well this year as well. He went eight straight weeks without a loss and one of my losses was to him. But as of last week the situation was such that if I were to win a game or he were to lose a game I would clinch the title. Last week I lost and he won, but this week I won and it looks like he will lose (barring Tom Brady throwing nothing but interceptions tomorrow), and any way you slice it I am the winner.

Next week I will play him in the final match-up of the year. If I win that game I will be 13-3-1, which would put me in the record book (tied for third under the season record category). And even if I lose I will have the helmet of champions, and get to write my name on it.

So I guess I didn't make a fool of it.

So thank you to the guys who made this possible -- not an exhaustive list, but the big guns of the 2005 World Champion The New Kid -- Big Bad Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Hasselbeck, Trent Green, Santana Moss, Tiki Barber, Thomas Jones, Lamont Jordan, and the New York Giants Defense.

However, now I'm fear I've set the bar too high for next season. Only time will tell.

2 Comments:

Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

Can I wear the helmet sometimes?

1:06 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

[puts fingers in ears]

LALALALALALALALALA

Too much information! ;-)

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home