Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Play That Funky Music

I now have a car stereo that is actually installed in my car. I have to get a $20 reimbursement from the insurance company for the part I had to purchase, and I still have to fully clean out my car, but I think I can claim that the aftermath of the break-in is now over.

So, are you curious how many different companies you have to deal with when some dickweed breaks your car window and steals your stereo? Well, let's take a look, shall we:

Insurance Company - to process claim

Police - to process police report

Glass Shop - to replace the broken window. They also vaccuumed all the broken glass out of the back seat and the trunk, which was much appreciated.

Body Shop - to replace the trim piece that was ripped off by the crooks, and the window molding that was cracked when they broke the windshield. I think it may be the smallest repair this body shop has ever had to do, as the customer service rep actually started laughing when he was explaining that I had a lifetime guarantee on all the paint work they did. (There is no paint work done when they replace trim work and molding).

Car Rental Agency - to provide transportation so you can both go to work AND get the body work done on your car.

Stereo Replacement Company - not sure if all insurance companies do this, but mine has one agency that gets you the replacement stereo and provides you a voucher to pay for its replacement.

Stereo Installtion Shop #1 - who can't actually do the installation, as there are dealer parts necessary that were not provided for from the stereo replacement company.

Car Dealer - to get said necessary parts

Stereo Installation Shop #2 - when you have a car stereo to be installed, take it to a place that just does car stereos for a living, rather than a place that sells appliances and DVD players as well. Then it will only take 2 tries over 2-1/2 hours to get the job done when they have to manufacture some of the parts themselves, because the stereo replacement company provided the wrong things.

Cell Phone Provider - for the replacement car charger that was stolen. Note: If you're suffering from low blood sugar and limited patience due to a car stereo installation that took 2-1/2 hours and make a scene in the store loud enough for everyone else to hear that includes the line, "So you're saying that new customers are more important to you than existing customers?" you can get a free headphone out of the deal.

CD Store - to replace the CD that was in the CD player when the crooks took it. (I went for a close facsimile to the missing CD)

Les Schwab - to replace the tire chains that were stolen by the crooks (which I haven't actually done, but at some point I'm sure I'll have to.)

My final thought on the subject: Too bad insurance companies won't let you bill them back for your time spent dealing with crap related to your claim. Even at minimum wage I may have made a killing. I left work at 4:00 tonight to get the stereo installed and purchase the new cell phone charger, and did not get home until 9:30 pm.

Biggest regret: Josh Brown, kicker for the Seattle Seahawks, was doing an in-store appearance at the car stereo store this evening. I didn't bother standing in line for his autograph, because I really could care less, but now I'm kinda wishing I had and had asked him to purchase naming rights for my fantasy football team for next season. I overheard him talking with the employees of the store, and he seemed like a nice guy with a healthy sense of humor, so I'm thinking he might have gone for it. Alas, I'll never know.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled blogging....

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannin said...

Hey, Josh Brown is my kicker, and I'm playing for the championship this weekend!

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home