Monday, December 19, 2005

The Saga Continues

I hope to return you to your regularly scheduled blog posts soon, but the saga of the crooks and the car stereo continues to consume my life, so it shall continue to consume my blog's life as well.

Tonight was supposed to be the final curtain call. The stereo had come in on Friday, I had found a shop that could install it tonight. The shop was right across the street from a "mall" that I could waste some time in. Of course it was too good to be true.

I arrived at the shop, filled out the paperwork, gave Vince my cell number and went on my merry way. I was done trawling the mall in five minutes, but I got "dinner" at Subway, which took another 15 minutes, and then spent the rest of my time camped out at Borders. It was supposed to take around an hour. After two hours, I returned to the store to see what the heck had happened.

Vince had tried to call me, but got a wrong number. He had read the "5" in my cell phone number as a "3." Did he try a different number when he realized that was the wrong number? No, that would make sense. Especially since the only other number it really could have been was a 5. He just waited for me to return.

Had I waited that extra time to return to a car with music and NPR and a place to charge my cell phone I would have forgiven Vince all his transgressions. But no, I do not have an installed car stereo now. I've still just got a great big hole where the stereo is supposed to go.

Apparently there are metal brackets that come from the dealer that are missing, and without them they cannot install the stereo. I stopped at another car stereo dealer on my way home (the place I actually bought the stereo), hoping they could help me out. I'm ready enough to be done with this whole saga that I probably would have paid them if it meant I had a car stereo at the end of the night. But no, they confirmed the need for the brackets from the dealer.

Had my dealership's parts department still been open tonight I probably would have driven down there to pick up the metal bracket I need. But no, it was past their closing time. So I could just leave a message with the stereo provider and insurance company to see what to do next.

The thing that amazes me more than everything else is that everyone: car stereo installers, after-hours insurance claims workers, strangers on the street, they all seem to think that I should KNOW that this is missing.

When I look where my car stereo used to be I see a big hole with some wires sticking out. I know a stereo is supposed to go there, but I don't know all the behind-the-scenes components that are required for the stereo to appear there. When I look in the box that was shipped to me I see a box with a stereo in it, and a few bags with brackets and screws and stuff inside of them. I don't know if they are all that is required or not.

My car came with a stereo. When the stereo broke, I went to the car stereo store and said, "I'd like that one." I then gave them a bunch of money, and walked across the street to the mall to go Christmas shopping. I returned a couple of hours later loaded down with gifts, and listened to beautiful music all the way home. I THOUGHT it should be that easy this time around.

Boy, was I ever wrong.

Depending on whether or not the part is in stock, the expense of the part, and the hassle of getting it through the insurance company, I may just go buy the darn thing tomorrow so we an officially call this saga DONE.

But maybe that's just wishful thinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home