Saturday, August 28, 2004

Who's on First?

I enjoy listening to baseball on the radio for the same reason I dislike watching it on television. The game moves slowly enough that you don't need to pay close attention all the time, so it's very easy to do while driving in the car without worrying about getting into a huge accident because the game has sucked you in so much. Plus, commercial breaks are relatively short, so it's easy to stay tuned to one station.

However, it's been frustrating trying to listen to the Mariners lately. Because of their extreme suckiness they have been bringing a lot of players up from the minor leagues to test them out and see who's going to make the cut next season. (One guy from triple-A Tacoma got activated between the two games of a double-header today). This means that there are all these names I don't recognize playing for my team. It makes it very difficult for me to jump in the car for a few minutes and try to figure out what's going on in the game, because depending on where we are in the batting order it can easily take me a cue from the broadcaster to figure out what half of the inning we're in.

Tonight the sweetie came to realize that there are only 6 Mariners remaining from their 116 win season. I could name 5 of them. They are: Bret Boone, Ichiro, Edgar Martinez, Dan Wilson, Jamie Moyer and Ryan Franklin. (I got all but Franklin. Knew it must be a pitcher, but couldn't remember our rotation).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home