Friday, December 10, 2004

Thank you Mr. Meier and Frank Manager Man

Last night I popped into Whole Foods to pick up some stuff for dinner. The checker, who I've had before, had a bit too much Children of the Corn going on for my liking. She was overly peppy, asking questions as if on cue, and when I really looked at her I could swear her eyes were a bit glazed over. I'm chalking it up to holiday shopping insanity.

However, that brief moment made me extremely thankful for a life-altering event that happened to me nearly 11 years ago, and I must now publicly profess those thanks.

I ended my college career as a marketing major. The goal being that, once I graduated, I would procure a job in marketing which would allow me to live happily ever after. I didn't want to be a salesperson, I wasn't willing to make the financial and locational sacrifices necessary to make it in advertising, market research bored me to tears, so I felt I was being drawn towards a career in retail. I had experience and it was a diverse arena which would likely keep me entertained. Why not?

Meier and Frank, a division of the May Company recruited heavily at my college campus. I had been to the open houses and had developed a rapport with the recruiter. I'm lousy at developing rapport with strangers, so that was karma in my eyes. It didn't hurt that they had a pretty good training program that would have paid well and allowed me to locate to my city of choice. This was my dream job, and it was mine for the taking.

The career center at my college had a point/bidding system in place for the more popular placements that came to campus. If all the interview slots were guaranteed to fill up and then some then you would be allowed to bid for a chance to participate. You were allotted a certain number of points at the beginning of the year. You could bid as many as you had remaining for a chance to interview. Highest bidders got the slots and had the points deducted from the total. That way if you REALLY wanted an interview with just that ONE company you were almost guaranteed a slot, but you could also just bet a few points and see what fate handed you. I didn't even need to turn to fate for this one. It was, notoriously, one of hardest interviews to get when it came to bidding. However, they allowed you to pre-submit your resume and would hand select a choice number of students that they WANTED to interview. BINGO! I made it past that cut, because the recruiter loved me and wanted me to work there. I was in!

Because of the sheer magnitude of students interviewing with them, the recruiter would bring several store managers and other executive types to help him with the first round of interviews. I believe I got a store manager for my draw, I don't recall his position exactly but he is the one I wish to thank.

I remember walking into the tiny little interview room crammed into the basement of the administration building, because the first thought that crossed my mind was that I was wearing a suit I had purchased from a different retail chain. The sort of suit that likely wouldn't be offered for sale at Meier and Frank. How could I have been so stupid as to not wear clothes they sell for an interview with them? Oh well, they loved me, this was all simply formality.

The first words out of the interviewers mouth were how he was intimidated to be interviewing me. Apparently my academic accomplishments, paired with campus activities and a brief stint outside of college working for a living made for a resume that intimidated a retail sales executive. The interview went pleasantly enough, and I sat home that night waiting for the call to invite me back to round two.

That call never came. If memory serves I did get a message on my answering machine basically saying thanks for taking the time, but I really needed to have grander plans than retail sales. They could identify that I'd be bored with what they had to offer before the first day was through. They knew I'd be the children in the corn employee before too very long.

And you know what? They were right. It took me some time to come to that realization, but that wasn't the career for me. Not sure I've determined what IS the career for me, but that one's definitely off the list. (Well, until I open my own shoe store, but that's going to be a while).

So, thank you Mr. Meier and Frank Manager Man. I may not remember your name, but you definitely had a large impact on my life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m sure you’ll be good there! My opinion is: every man should find a job he wants and likes. You know what I’m saying?!

3:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home