Saturday, February 19, 2005

The Amazing Race 7: Predictions

This will mark the fourth season of Sweetie and I making predictions, before we've seen the first episode of The Amazing Race, of who we think will win the race. It gives us a rooting interest.

My method of selecting my team of choice has been to go to the website, read the biography and Q&A of all of the teams, and make my selection. Last season I was torn between two teams, one of whom didn't have a Q&A posted so I could not, in good faith, pick them, not knowing what secrets that interview would have held. And, for the first season, Sweetie's team did better than mine. (No, we're not competitive, not at all). Of course, I'm the only person to pick a team that's won the race. And I haven't picked a team that got eliminated on the first episode yet. Pretty soon Vegas will be calling me to make the odds.

Except CBS has gone and changed things now. They've eliminated the written Q&A. I have the option of downloading some program that's not on my home or work computers and watching videos of each of the teams, but that involves too much work for a television show. So that means I'm forced to make my predictions this year based only on the biography. Therefore, instead of just picking a team I'm going to make general predictions about each team, then select one that I will have no confidence in, and see where it goes from there.

So, without further ado, here are my predictions for The Amazing Race 7:

Brian and Greg - Brothers: They're athletic, but have limited travel experience and limited knowledge of the race. They're brawn will carry them for a while, but they won't have the travel savvy to make it all the way.

Debbie and Bianca - Best Friends: The yin to the brothers yang, they've got the travel experience, but not the brawn. If these two girls were to hook up with the two brothers and swap teams around they might make two formidable forces, but if when it comes down to who can run the foot race the fastest or who can climb the wall the fastest these girls will be left behind.

Lynn and Alex - Boyfriends: I cannot pick a team who professes to be going on the race to "test their relationship." You may do well, but you will not win. You need to have your teammate behind you 110% to get through the challenges, so if they're someone who might rub you the wrong way you're doomed. And when one team members claims to be bad at dealing with stress and the other is lazy. And your motivation on the race it to possibly get married in Amsterdam - yeah, no, not a chance. This may be our sacrificial lamb.

Meagan and Heidi - Roommates: Click on the link. Look at the picture. The hair. The bandanas. Sorry, I can't get past the homage to Farrah Fawcett and Olivia Newton John. They could be the best, most perfectly matched team ever, but the hair disqualifies them.

Meredith and Gretchen - Married: The token old people. As old people go, I'm sure they'll do fine. But time has shown that the most athletic old folks won't be able to hold up until the end.

Ray and Deana - Dating: Testing the relationship, and he's cocky. No thanks.

Rob and Amber - Engaged: I hated him on Survivor All-Stars. And then he went and proposed on Reality TV. I was OK with her as long as she was using Rob for her own greedy ends, but then she went and fell for the scumbag. I don't like them at all. I don't want them to win. And I suspect that they'll find the manipulation that got them ahead on Survivor won't get them far here, and the laziness that the manipulation allowed them won't get them off the starting line. They'll probably do OK, but I really don't want them to win.

Ron and Kelly - Dating: I used to have a strictly "no dating teams" rule on the rooting interest front. The relationship is just too tenuous and won't hold up to the stress. By the end of last season I had eased on that, with both Sweetie and my teams gone we found ourselves rooting for Kris and Jon, and I think I may be completely abandoning that this season. I do believe this may be the team to beat. Yep, I'm picking them. They're not testing the relationship, they're going on the race for the adventure. And man if they don't have the brains and the brawn to make it happen.

Ryan and Chuck - Friends: These guys look like fun. I don't know that they have the spark to make it to the finish line first, but I'd like to see them do well because I think they'll be entertaining.

Susan and Patrick - Mother and Son: Again, no spark.

Uchenna and Joyce - Married: They're going through a challenging spot in their relationship. They want to bring their relationship closer together. They want to use the money they win to help them have a baby. Not a chance.

So there you have it: Lynn and Alex as the sacrificial lambs, Ron and Kelly to win it all. Stay tuned and see if the predictions hold.

5 Comments:

Blogger lemming said...

(pops some popcorn)

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi i just wanted to let you know that i know ray and deana personally and ray is not cocky what so ever. he is actually one of the nicest people i know. i hope he is not portrayed as cocky on the show because it is not true at all! thanks

6:19 PM  
Blogger Swankette said...

If Ray is not cocky then why did he describe himself as cocky in the pre-race interview? I wasn't even making suppositions on this one, it's in black and white.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At one point in last night's premier episode, the contestants were REQUIRED to take rickshaws to the beach where thet were supposed to dig up airplane tickets. But Lynn & Alex used a motoried mini taxi that resembled a golf cart.
WHY WERE THEY NOT PENALIZED!!!??? Can anyone please explain this?

10:38 AM  
Blogger Swankette said...

Regarding Lynn and Alex in the Rickshaws - there's a couple of options here in my opinion:

1) They have been or will be assessed a penalty, but it will be seamless in the show or they'll announce it at the beginning of the next leg.

2) They actually LOST time by taking the motorized taxi that took them UP the hill rather than down to the beach. Originally they had quite a lead on the next team behind them, and ended up arriving at the beach at the same time or slightly behind. So you could perhaps call that penalty enough.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home