Friday, April 15, 2005

ENOUGH!!!

I think I've had a pretty decent attitude as we've been going through the condo renovations. Despite the fact that it's costing us a healthy chunk of change. Despite the fact that the noisiest week of the work I was home sick with the flu stuck on the couch listening to the bang bang bang all day. Despite the fact that they decided to take the bedroom window out one morning just moments after I was standing naked in said bedroom. Annoyances, but I annoyances I knew were coming.

This week they've been doing interior work - replacing the trim on the windows and painting windowsills and affected walls. The notice we received on our door alerting us to this fact informed us that this work would be taking place between 8 am and 5 pm and to plan our lives accordingly. And so I planned my life accordingly. Normally I'm getting dressed around 8:05 am-ish, but this week I've modified the morning routine so that we won't run into that naked in the bedroom with workmen around situation.

Between 7:30 - 8:00 am every morning this week has been a ring of the doorbell at some point. Monday I was in a position to answer the door, and it was one of the workers asking to leave the door unlocked when I left so that they wouldn't have to go through the effort of getting the key out of the lockbox to get in. I'm OK with that. Most other morning this week the ring has come while in the shower, or otherwise unavailble to get the door. Such is life.

This morning that ring came as my feet were literally hitting the ground getting out of bed. The workman at the door wanted to give me a long explanation about how there were two types of paint, and that's why they needed in today as well. Or something like that, I was barely awake at this point. But I'd leave the door unlocked, sure.

About 10 minutes later (7:40 am give or take) is another ring of the bell. I'm presentable enough for the door, and figure it's just another guy asking me to leave my door unlocked - you know, Harry thought he was on door duty, but Bob thought the same thing. It's a painter. He wants to come into my condo RIGHT NOW. I don't let him. I inform him that we were told workers would not be entering the unit before 8 am. I'm not going into how I'm not going to let strange men into my house while I'll be showering and getting dressed. He copped some attitude as I sent him away.

8:05 am there's another ring of the doorbell. Same painter asking, in a very snotty way, if I will allow him into the condo now. And I do, as it is after 8 am and I am fully showered and almost fully clothed (still had to put my shoes on). Then, when I simply walked away and left the door open I could feel him sending more attitude my way. Sorry, but I've got stuff to do before I can go to work (such as put on my shoes), and I do not feel the need to play hostess to you.

So the workers had to move some things around to do the necessary painting today. They did a nice job of leaving a path to the couch. But then they put the video cabinet and some other stuff ON the couch, leaving nowhere to sit. Which I can almost forgive. But then I come to discover that the VCR is unplugged from the power strip, the cassette deck is turned on, and the thing that connects the Replay TV to the cable box is disconnected. I could understand them having to unplug everything from the wall earlier in the week, but I want to know what they were doing with my electronic equipment earlier today that left things in that paint.

So that is what I am left pondering as I sit on my couch, that feels like it's in a cave, and smell the noxious paint fumes.

It's going to be a long weekend.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannin said...

I can't even imagine having to be nice to people waking me up. Many years ago, after the Northridge quake, my dad's house had to have major reconstructive surgery (the foundation cracked). He was given the choice of living there while this chaos was going on or the insurance company would pay for him to rent a "like property." He chose to move out -- good thing too as it ended up being over a year (they ended up having to lift the house off the foundation).

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home