Tuesday, May 03, 2005

The Amazing Race 7: Episode 10

I would like to officially log a complaint, because CBS has totally cheated us this season. The Amazing Race is billed as, "a race around the world," but the teams aren't going AROUND the world this time. They started in the US, traveled South, and then started heading East. Until they got to India, at which point they started heading West, first to Turkey and now to England. And based on the tropical settings in the previews from next week, I don't think they're going to be flying across Siberia or any such adventure next week. So this isn't really a race around the world. It's a race that mostly goes around the world, but screw the Pacific Ocean.

Rob and Amber rant of the week: When you are witnessing an intensely sacred religious ritual it is INTOLERABLY rude to say things such as, "They look like they're hanging themselves," or, "They look dead," while in the presence of these people.

Rob and Amber screw-up of the week: Tonight was the final yield available. Rob and Amber and Ron and Kelly had an earlier flight to London, so had the lead over Uchenna and Joyce and Meredith and Gretchen by at least an hour and a half. Having arrived at the yield first I am of the opinion that it would be smartest to yield Uchenna and Joyce. With the set lead, it's unlikely you're going to bump Ron and Kelly from the race. However, that time could make the difference for Uchenna and Joyce and allow Meredith and Gretchen to slide by one more week. Now, call me crazy, but I'd rather go into a final three with one strong team that's maybe a bit close to me (since you know they're going to fly somewhere, so get equalized along the way), and one team that doesn't have a chance in hell, rather than two teams that have strength to them. But maybe that's just me.

I enjoy the race when it travels places I know. Season 3 ended in Seattle, and that was REALLY fun. Especially when a key clue involved a park Sweetie and I always take visitors to. This week the teams traveled London. Which, although I don't know as well as Seattle, WAS a place I traveled last summer, and there were definitely some familiar sites.

The editors get the style points for the week. The road block involved teams having to drive a double-decker bus through a pretty tight obstacle course which took each team a MINIMUM of four tries to master. The editors did a nice little montage of frustrated bus drivers this evening, that was fun.

Previews for next week show Rob having a run-in with the law. I hope he tries to grease the palm of a police officer in a Carribean country and suffering the consequences. That would ROCK. I fear that Uchenna and Joyce may suffer the same fate the clowns did in Season 4, missing a key flight and be out of the running come the end of the race.

So as we approach the finals, let's take a look at how my predictions have played out over the seasons:

Season 4: Prediction: the clowns. They made the finals. (3rd place)
Season 5: Prediction: Chip and Kim. They WON!
Season 6: Prediction: father/daughter. OK, they came in 7th, but everyone makes mistakes
Season 7: Prediction: Ron and Kelly. They made the finals, so are guaranteed at LEAST third place.

I told you at the beginning of the season Vegas should be calling me to make the odds. If Ron and Kelly win I expect the phone call at 11:01 pm. But Sweetie and I will be watching on TiVo, so I'll have to return the call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home