Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Good Workout CD #5

Disclaimer the First: A CD which falls in the category of "Good Workout CD" does not, by definition, fall in the category of "Good CD." All the previous CDs which qualified as "Good Workout CD" have ALSO qualified as "Good CD," but today the tides are turning.

Disclaimer the Second: The CD in question was bought as a gag Christmas gift for the Sweetie for one, specific track. If you know the Sweetie you can probably figure it out. Otherwise, I am confident in saying this CD wouldn't be under consideration for this project.

Peaked your curiosity, haven't I? Well, the most recent Good Workout CD is The Best of Annette by Annette Funicello. Hey, I'm as surprised as you are, but it fits the bill.

First, the songs are short and poppy. Good for keeping you moving.

Second, the songs are easy to sing along to. Easy to keep you distracted.

Third, for me, the song for which the CD was purchased is SO PERFECT that it just gives an extra little oomph.

Fourth, and this is the thing that really pushed this over the edge, track #8 is a tune called Jamaica Ska. It comes about 2/3 of the way through the CD. That point in the workout when you're questioning why 30 minutes is the magic number, isn't 20 just good enough? And why do I bother spending all this time on the treadmill anyhow? It's the moment that will make it or break it for the remainder of the time you're stuck there.

And then it hits you. Annette Funicello, little Miss Mousketeer, the picture of purity, is teaching you how to ska. Now maybe it's just a matter of my upbringing, but I was taught the ska by my brother in the 1980s, to the tunes of two-tone ska: The Selecter, The Specials, English Beat and Madness. Ska, the parent of Reggae. One step away from Bob Marley and his spliff. And Annette is teaching me how to get down and dirty with it.

And the tune doesn't even have a strong ska beat.

So that's enough of a disconnect that I found myself giggling throughout the song and for most of the remainder of the workout at the silliness of it all.

Although now I'm starting to regret that most of my ska collection is on album rather than CD. May need to fix that. But in the meantime I've got Annette.

1 Comments:

Blogger Army of Mom said...

Good and workout don't belong in the same sentence.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home