Saturday, June 18, 2005

Super Swank Song Stylings

There is a CD that has surpassed William Shatner in the Super Swank factor in the collection now. I've had it for a week, but it hasn't made it into the house before today, so that's why you're first hearing about it now.

The CD is Rock Swings by Paul Anka - in which he takes popular songs from the 1980's forward and sings them in his own Swank style. If you're familiar with the CD Loungeapalooza (another favorite at the House of Swank) it is definitely of a similar vein, but Paul's cover of Blackhole Sun way rocks it over Steve & Eydie's - which surprised me, since I really dig Steve & Eydie's version.

I've really only got one complaint, and that's that a couple of times Mr. Anka diverts from the original lyrics, which impedes the sing-alongability of the songs. But I'm even willing to forgive him for that. One time it happens is in the song "True" (originally by Spandau Ballet), and it's been long enough since I've listened to the song and for all I know I could have had the words wrong all these years. The other instance is in "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (yes, he does Nirvana), in which he replaces the four-letter words with something more innocuous. I KNOW I've got the lyrics right there, but I guess I can see why he wouldn't want to sing naughty words.

And now I've got a sneaking suspicion American IV by Johnny Cash may be making it into the collection soon. (I've alrady got American III).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home