Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Sign on the Dotted Line

The vernacular of married life is more of a challenge than I expected it to be.

Problem the first: I've got myself a HUSBAND now. I just finally got down the part that he's a fiance, and then the vocabulary goes and changes on me.

Problem the second: I'm changing my name from Swankette to SwankPoet. That means I've got to remember to refer to myself as SwankPoet. When I'm making reservations at restaurants, when I'm introducing myself to people, when I'm logging into my computer at work. Takes some getting used to. Which leads me to;

Problem the third: You can't snap your fingers and just have your name be changed. I haven't gone through any of the legal mumbo jumbo yet. Once that gets started there's the bank accounts and bills and other random paperwork that all needs to change things around. And e-mail addresses and other stuff like that I've tied into the name Swankette. But in the meantime, at work I was SwankPoet when I walked in the door on Monday. So I'm living a split personality now: Some of the time I'm Swankette, and some of the time I'm SwankPoet, and I have to remember which is which.

Problem the fifth: My Swankette signature is so ingrained that I don't even need to think about it. To the point that today, while working (where I wear the SwankPoet cape) I almost signed some stuff Swankette today. After actually remembering to put the name SwankPoet on it. I actually stopped the fax machine today, because I realize that the fax I was trying to send had three different locations where my name was listed as SwankPoet, but the signature was that of Swankette. HOLY NAME CHANGE BATMAN! I had to sign my new name! I didn't like the new signature I came up with. I'm seriously considering sitting down with a piece of paper and a pen and playing around until I find a signature I'm comfortable with before I start dealing with any of the legal mumbo jumbo.

Why does no one clue you in on any of this stuff before the big day? It's all a big conspiracy, isn't it?

4 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

We recently discovered that our bank wants all the signatures on the mortgage to be exactly the same as the names on the deed. Which was a problem for Alison, who is on the deed with her middle name but never, ever signs anything that way. She had to do a lot of re-initialing and re-signing during the closing.

(Which is particularly amusing if you know that her signature is like a glyph than Roman letters anyway.)

As for myself, I've never "legally" adopted my middle name. It always amuses me who's a stickler about that (Ohio and Maryland's DMVs) and who isn't (the rest of the planet).

Yeah, us married people have been keeping a lot of secrets for you. Your manuals should arrive in 6 to 8 weeks. ;-)

7:37 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

On the up side, look at it this way: if TRP had decided he wanted to change HIS name to TeacherRefEtte instead of you changing yours, he would have gone through all the same rigamarole *and* had to pay for the privilege.

7:58 AM  
Blogger tommyspoon said...

I think this is why Sweetie didn't change her name.

I had to adopt my middle name for legal purposes because I share my first and last names with Dad. And that still hasn't prevented confusion regarding magazine subscriptions...

9:47 AM  
Blogger Army of Mom said...

It is a fucking conspiracy. Sort of like when all your friends with kids start bugging you about having children. We don't tell you all the crap we endure, only the good stuff. So, then you'll be one of us.

BWWHAAHHHAAAHHAAA!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I lapsed for a moment there.

The SSN is easy, just go to the SS office and fill out a form. Simple. I think in Texas, at least, you can do your DL with just a letter and $10 and they'll send you a new one with your married named. Just time consuming stuff.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home