Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Yummy for my Tummy

I cannot remember the last time I actually cooked a meal. A couple of weeks before the wedding I just gave up. The wedding bomb that had exploded in the house had finally seeped its way into the kitchen, so the already limited space was at even more of a premium than usual. And there just wasn't enough TIME to do everything, so I spent my time working on wedding stuff and let Red Robin and Acapulco Fresh do the cooking for me.

The wedding bomb detritus is slowly dissapearing. Come Monday I don't think we'll be able to use it as an excuse anymore. Friday I'm taking everything white and poofy down to Portland for disposal. We've already got two humans and a cat in just under 1,000 square feet, we don't have room for ONE poofy white thing, let alone two (the dress and the slip).

Once I return from Portland I shall tackle the kitchen and the gifts simultaneously. In order to accomodate the gifts the kitchen requires a wee bit of reorganization (swapping a couple of cabinets around), so that shall be the remainder of the kitchen.

But in the meantime, I think tomorrow night shall be my first home-cooked meal as a married woman. I'll probably keep it simple - pork chops (which are one of my favorite foods ever), and whatever vegetables and starch strike my fancy at Whole Foods tomorrow. But I'm open to suggestions.

Plus, soon I shall have all sorts of opportunities to go gourmet. I've got a pressure cooker, a new slow cooker (with removable insert), Kitchen Aid, ice crem maker, and other various kitchen implements to break in.

Let the fun begin! Requests and suggestions are always appreciated.

4 Comments:

Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

Garlic mashed potatoes!!!!

12:59 AM  
Blogger Shannin said...

The funny thing is that I hardly use any of my appliances. I have the Kitchen Aid mixer, a Cuisinart, a Waring blender, a mini-Cuisinart...

I do use my crock pot. One of my favorite recipes is you take a pork butt (the poundage will depend on the size of your slow cooker, but I can get two 3-4 pound ones in mine). I usually go Mexican pork, although you can go Asian. I add a large can of enchilada sauce, 1 jar of salsa (not fresh), 2 cans of refried beans, 1 chopped onion and spices (chili, cumin, oregeno). Put on low for 12 hours or high for 8. When done, pull the pork out and shred. Serve on tortillas with some of the sauce, cheese, sour cream, guac, etc.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Riffing off Shannin's pork suggestion, try porter-hoisin pork. Brown the pork roast (otherwise it tends to look a little grey), and then plop it into the slow cooker with equal parts hoisin sauce and porter-style beer. I usually find that about half a bottle of porter works pretty well, and if I've gotten organized enough to put things together in the evening, it gives me a nice little cook's treat.

Let cook pretty much all day (Shannin's directions sound about right), then pull out, slice or shred, and eat. Also makes good leftovers for sammiches.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Swankette said...

Damn TRP and his allergies to tomatoes and soy! Because both of those recipies sound really tasty!

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home