Thursday, September 01, 2005

Keep on Trikin'

The continuing news on Katrina overwhelms me. I get most of my news from NPR, and have been purposefully avoiding news that might come with pictures, but tonight the pictures found me. And it is even more mind-staggering than I can imagine. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone there, everyone who was there, everyone who knows someone who is there and on and on and on...

And it really has me missing the innocence of my youth. The first 4-1/2 years of my life I lived in St. Louis, Missouri. Which means that tornadoes are on the list of natural disasters you may have to face. There was a tornado warning from that time that I remember. What I remember is that my Mom came and woke me up in the middle of the night - which was probably around 11 o'clock at night, but I'd been asleep and it was dark out, so it was the middle of the night to me. We were going to be sleeping in the basement that night because of the tornado warning. So we headed down, and as my parents were setting up the accomodations my brother and I rode our tricycles.

I think we escaped the tornado, which I'm sure skews the memory, but in my four year old mind this was a fun adventure. I get to ride my trike in the basement in the middle of the night! Bring it on!

Oh, if only life were that easy. I'm sure things were a lot more difficult and worrisome for my parents. And I'm thankful that now I live in an area where my natural disaster threats are earthquakes and volcanoes, which seem a lot more manageable to me than hurricanes are. I just wish there were something I could do from this distance besides throwing some money into the pot.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannin said...

I was just 2 years old when the '71 Loma Prieta quake hit. My brother, who was born 6 weeks prematures, had just come home earlier in the week. My parents leaped out of bed, grabbed my brother and ran on to the front lawn, leaving their first born (me!) alone in the house.
When my parents came back in my dad found me on the bed, bouncing up and down and saying, "Daddy, shake the house again!"
Nothing like a little innocence.

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home