Thursday, September 08, 2005

Let Me Hear Your Body Talk

I am a type A personality that tends to thrive on stress. To the point where anyone who knows me that just read that statement said, "Well, DUH!" To the point that I have prescription eyeglasses. Which doesn't make a lot of sense as an independent statement, but ask my optometrist and he'll back me up. The prescription is so slight that if I were a type B slob with no attention to detail my brain probably wouldn't even register that my vision wasn't perfect, but because I'm a type A detail-oriented type person the brain registers the smallest little imperfection. (Although, with it being such a slight prescription, I really only need to use my glasses when I'm doing a LOT of reading).

Pretty much any semi-chronic malady I suffer from is at least partially attributed to stress. Sensitive gums, zits, weak tendons, all the health-care professionals I've ever seen on these issues have pointed to stress as at least one of the culprits.

I know my stress. And my body knows my stress. And in some ways that really sucks, but in some ways it's a wonderful relationship to have with your body. As someone who thrives on stress I sometimes manage to pile it on super-thick. Sometimes it's self-inflicted, and other times it's brought on by others and I just don't bother to say, "No, thank you" to the stress. And when I start to reach the limit of my stress my body will give me warnings: insomnia, upset stomach, general malaise, so that I have a chance to chill out and get myself back in check.

And if that warning doesn't work my body isn't afraid to kick me to the curb and take me out, where I'm gonna' take a break from life whether I want to or not. Which is no fun whatsoever at all, but really helps get me back on the right track because a forced absence from work, school, life, etc. is definitely a way to get the stress back in check.

The body started to kick me to the curb recently, took me out for a wee bit. It was one day down, which isn't much fun, but I've been out for up to a week before, and that's a lot less fun. And now I'm back on my feet and getting everything in check to go forward full speed ahead.

So that's why the blogging has been a bit on the sparse side lately, but I expect there to be lots of content showing up real darn soon. Stay tuned...

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannin said...

I thrive on stress as well. I think I work better under pressure with looming deadlines. That's why I know if I ever won the lottery I'd still be working somewhere...

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home