Friday, October 28, 2005

The Developmental Swankette

-- that's what Sweetie referred to me as over dinner this evening. Sounds kind of like I'm an infant learning to walk and hit all those developmental milestones that lay ahead of me.

And, in a way, he's right. At the tender age of 33 I've hit the milestone of "starting on a career path that I can reasonably remain for the remainder of my professional life" and that career is in development (which is what the non-profit type call the sales and marketing department, so it's a bit easier to get donations out of people.)

I got offered a job today. Via voicemail, as I was temping all day, but I've already left messages for both my new boss and the head of HR, who both had left messages, indicating that I will call them back Monday afternoon.

Of course, I'm keeping Monday morning's interview. Because the position I've been offered is mots definitely entry-level in salary and duty, and Monday's interview is for a more mid-level position, with a 67% raise over what I've been offered with a better location (in the city versus a different 'burb, commute time would be about equal.)

And now that I'm typing this out, it's making me even more hopeful about this other job. I have a history of getting offered the "dream job" immediately after accepting the "it's not the dream job, but close enough." From the summer after high school, when I quit the telemarketing gig the same day I accepted it because Target finally called me back (yes, at the age of 17 Target was my dream job), to others that I can't remember at the moment, but I know they've happened, because they always make me think back to the job at Target. The one place I am FORBIDDEN from ever working again, because I didn't give two weeks notice. Funny that.

But stay tuned for many more developmental milestones to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home