Monday, November 28, 2005

I Don't Like Mondays

I'm batting two for two right now when it comes to work and Monday mornings. Last week I was sick, and this week my car got broken into, so I sit at home and wait for the police officer to arrive to file a report (He's at a neighbors right now, so I guess it's just a matter of waiting for him to be done with that police report).

The far back window was broken, a piece of trim on the opposite side of the car was ripped off, the stereo was stolen, as were two CD's, and much crap was strewn about the car. It looks like there may be crap that doesn't belong to me strewn about the car, but I haven't really dug into it. I'll let the police officer do that. I just looked superficially enough to report to the insurance company.

Interestingly, the leather gloves, the 17 other CD's in my car, and the $50 in Starbuck's cards were not stolen. Guess the crooks don't like coffee.

So now, for a few hundred dollars worth of damage and a $500 deductible I will get an endless array of crap. First, we've got the time consumed with calling insurance companies and police officers and all that fun stuff. There will be time taken to clean out the car, I am sure. And then there are three, yes count them, THREE, different organizations that I will need to coordinate with to fully process my insurance claim. One agency will replace my auto glass (tomorrow at work, so unless the police officer tells me something different it looks like I'll get to be white trash for a day and drive around with a garbage bag for a window), one just to take care of the piece of trim that was removed, and a third to replace the stereo and CD's. Brand-freaking-new CD's that I had just bought on Saturday.

Worst of all is, since it happened at home, now I feel sort of invaded. Like, how am I going to feel safe leaving my car out at night? I don't want to have to go through this crap again. I want a house with a garage. Or maybe a limo with a driver, so I'm not responsible for the automobile at all.

Man, this sucks.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Argh, that so sucks. years ago some sleazeball walked up our street slashing tires... I know that invaded feeling.

9:14 AM  
Blogger kaphine said...

Awe, poor Zeb! Yeah, I know what a pain it is. We've been through one break in together, one in Portland, and an attempted that ruined Mary Mae's locks. The Cambridge break in was on our block. The Portland break ins were in front of Realsupergirl's appartment in NW. In Cambridge we don't have insurance that covers damage to our car (just liability for anyone we hit). And to top it off, a new replacement for the broken window was no longer available, so we had to scour junk yards to find one. And why does this have to happen in the fall when you're dealing with the weather getting colder? Well, my wishes to you and Zeb for a speedy recovery.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Shannin said...

I am so sorry to hear about the break in! What a hassle. I hope the insurance stuff goes smoothly and your car is whole again soon...

3:25 PM  
Blogger tommyspoon said...

A piece of advice from one who has been there:

When you replace your stereo, be sure to get one with a detachable faceplate. I always detach mine when I leave the car (even at home sometimes) and throw it in my bag. Foils thieves nine ways to Sunday.

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home