Saturday, November 19, 2005

Shopgirl

Sweetie and I went to see the movie Shopgirl last night. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

Normally, I avoid movies based on books that I have enjoyed. I'm still in denial that I spent two hours of my life watching Simon Birch, but I really didn't realize that a movie based on my favorite book could be so horribly, horribly bad.

In fact, prior to last night, the ONLY time the movie equalled the book was High Fidelity, and if that movie had sucked I would have just spent two hours drooling over John Cusack, so that being an enjoyable movie was really just a nice bonus.

But enough about that, back to Shopgirl. I loved the book, so was very wary when I heard it was being made into a movie. Especially with Steve Martin playing the part of Ray Porter. (I had always pictured Porter as more a Ray Liotta type.), but the central character of the movie, and the make-it or break-it casting is the character of Mirabelle. She's simultaneously very simple and very complex, and her physical presence is a very important part of her character. An impossible part to cast, but it was cast brilliantly with Claire Danes fitting the bill, and she did not dissapoint.

From the opening credits, I knew this movie would be a winner. In fact, there were a few moments in the movie that really help enhance the story for me, and brought out things I hadn't noticed about the story before. Especially fun was one scene in which Ray Porter and Jeremy are simultaneously eating dinner. I don't want to tell you any more, because it will give it away.

The other thing I wish to commend this story on is it's dealing with depression. Mirabelle is on anti-depressants, but at one point in the movie, feeling happy and life seemingly in-check, she stops them. Results are not good. Which is very common for those who suffer from mental illnes. Those who suffer from depression will stop taking their meds because they are feeling so happy, and then falling into a deep pit of despair. But their guilt that they aren't just happy prevents them from getting back on the meds. I liked seeing this in a movie, because so many people seem to think that mentally illness can magically be cured just by taking a pill, but it's much more complicated than that.

So go see the movie. You won't be dissapointed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannin said...

For me, the worst was "Bridges Over Madison County." I so loved the book, and so loathed the movie.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home