Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Gobble, Gobble

Let's take a look at the House of Swank schedule for the next few days:

Wednesday - work until 4 pm (after about 6 hours sleep due to the insomnia). Grocery shop on the way home. Bake 2-3 pies. (2 pies, but since one is double standard size it takes almost double standard cooking time). Clean house and prepare "guest room." Do laundry and pack for long weekend in Portland. Prepare necessary rations for cat to survive a long weekend home alone. Pick up Kaphine and Realsupergirl up at the airport at midnight.

Thursday - drive to Portland (3 hours). Gorge on stuffing. And turkey and mashed potatoes and all that other stuff, but Thanksgiving at my mom's house is just a large production to justify me getting lots and lots and lots of stuffing. Seriously, if I could talk my mom into buying a 50 lb. turkey I'd totally do it and not eat any of the turkey, but be living off of stuffing for DAYS.

Friday - Thanksgiving was all about the eating, so Leftover Day shall be all about the drinking. Going on a wine tour with a good friend and his family. Which I think means anyone they've ever met, or the friends and family of those people. (My parents are coming, and although they've met my friend, they have not met anyone else in his family, unless you include his wife). The first winery we are visiting that day is located next door to his parents' house and is opening special just for us. When the day gets started on that kind of note, you know it's going to be a good one.

Saturday - Re-discover what I look like with really short hair. I won't know until the haircut actually starts what the final haircut will look like (since my hair is pulled back in a ponytail when measuring the requisite 10" to go, I'm having a tough time visualizing what will be left and what will become of it.) It has the potential to be the shortest it's been since my senior year of college. When I almost gave a friend a heart attack for getting gobs cut off over Christmas vacation without warning anyone. Thankfully, a friend who knew me longer got him into shape. "Dude, that's Swankette, that's what she does." After the haircutting will be the partying in honor of Kaphine and Realsupergirl. Given that many Portland friends will be in attendance at the formal event, I would not be surprised if partying continued on of an informal variety after the fact.

Sunday - Sales-tax free shopping. Stealth detective missions. And getting home at a reasonable hour so Sweetie and I can make it to work on Monday without feeling the pain.

I know I owe an Amazing Race post, and I'm sure there will be much to blog about over the weekend, but there may not be the time to do so.

So enjoy your holidays, however you choose to celebrate them (both Thanksgiving and Leftover Day.) Get lots of triptophan in your system, and just snooze through the weekend. I'm sure I'll be back next week with scads of stories to tell.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannin said...

Shopping at 4PM on the Wednesday before TG? You are brave! I barely made it out of the store alive when I went at noon.

The wine tasting sounds like loads of fun. That's one thing I miss - on the fly wine tasting weekends in Santa Barbara. Don't know of too many good Minnesotan wineries...

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home