Thursday, December 01, 2005

Couch Surfing

When selecting a couch for my home I have only one mandatory requirement; I must be able to lie down and comfortably take a nap on the couch.

I first came to this conclusion the summer between high school and college. I was working I was working 6 am - 2:30 pm at Target, and would come home and take a nap on the family room couch before squandering the night away with friends. Naps are better on couches, as your body then knows that it's a temporary sleep, and reacts appropriately.

This couch followed me to my college apartments, and served me well. Kaphine once spent a night on the couch before she and I were officially friends. The couch was abandoned upon graduation, as when my parents allowed me to move it out of the childhood home they forbid it's ever returning (it was a brown, patterned, 1970's couch that had really seen better days).

From there it was couches brought to the housing unit by the roommate, or the futon that was no longer needed as a bed. Even when I lived in Seattle in an apartment that couldn't have been any more than 500 square feet I managed to fit the futon couch into the equation.

The current couch was a Christmas present from my parents in 1999. I knew I was getting a couch for Christmas that year, but hadn't started shopping for it yet. Then I got a call from my Mom one day at work:

Mom: "What are you doing for lunch today?"
Me: "I don't know, why?"
Mom: "You need to go to Meier and Frank and pick out a couch."

Mom had found a coupon, and it was the one day of the month that seniors got an automatic discount, which meant that if I selected a couch on that day I got WAY more couch for the money.

It's truly a wonderful couch. It's comfortable to nap on in normal couch mode, but the back cushions are removable and when you take them off it feels like a twin bed it's so darn wide. I was very thankful when the delivery men brought it into my apartment, as they had to cantilever it over a balcony to get it into the apartment. When I moved from the Tri-Cities we had to lower it over the deck, rather than carrying it down the stairs.

I became more thankful for the couch after living with Sweetie for a spell, while the couch sat in storage. He only had a love seat. I had a hard enough time with the love seat, I don't know how he managed it with his 6'3" frame. But when I moved into my home I was reunited with the couch.

And over the past year the couch has vaulted to epic status. When one of us is sick we can sleep on the couch, so as not to pass the flu to the other while we sleep. And after spending 10 minutes yesterday morning climbing out of bed due to my back being tweaded out of shape, a night on the couch (which is much firmer than the bed, and does not allow one to thrash about while sleeping), and I'm improving by leaps and bounds.

Oh, I love my couch. Although I did enter the sweepstakes to win the old couch from The Daily Show. If we win that, this couch is totally history.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannin said...

We have a U-shaped coach with one end being a chaise lounge. It's a little broken down now, and we could use a new one, but it's awfully comfy for a good nap!

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home