Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Warning: Dead People Ahead

Today, the local NPR program The Conversation was all about strip clubs, due to the fact that there is going to be a ballot measure in 2006 that will change the rules of the game.

One of the guests on the show was the mayor (former mayor? city council member? I wasn't paying THAT close of attention) of a small suburb of Seattle who had previously protested and picketed a strip club being built in his community. When asked why he had organized said protest his first comment was that it was not reflective of that community's values, and his second comment was that said strip club was located across the street from a cemetary.

Now, I'm sure I'm jaded on such topics because I come from the city with the highest number of strip clubs per capita. I used to live about 20 blocks (in said city) from a strip club which is renowned for it's $4 steak. Because combining charred meat and nekkid girls is the epitome of manliness (and kind of nasty and unhygenic sounding if you ask me). But who the heck cares if you've got a strip club across the street from a cemetary?

I can understand the school argument. Let's try to keep the nekkid ladies directly out of the line of sight of the little ones who aren't under parental supervision. But what's the problem with the dead people?

Best as I can figure it, they've got two potential fears:
  1. The dead people will be offended by the nekkid ladies, and haunt the politicians who allowed this to happen.
  2. Horny dead guys will come back from the grave to go see some of the nekkid ladies for themselves.
Argument #2 is moot, because there are a lot of good reference manuals out there on how to survive zombie attacks... I bought my brother-in-law this one for Christmas.

So the politicians are scared they're going to get haunted. Probably saw Poltergeist one too many times. Or read the book late at night when they were all alone. I read that book when I was around 11 or 12 and it scared the shit out of me.

Or they want to make sure they have to travel to see their nekkid ladies, so their wives and girlfriends won't catch them.

2 Comments:

Blogger kaphine said...

Speaking of zombies, have you seen Shawn of the Dead yet?

5:53 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

I've heard lots of radio ads about strip clubs with great lunch buffets. I cannot possibly understand the appeal of combining naked strangers and food.

(For the record, I am also opposed to most combinations of naked acquaintances, friends, or relatives, and food. Even on your best day, don't fry bacon naked.)

Argument 1 is a hoax, of course, because everyone knows ghosts take the closest target, and will haunt the strip club. You'd think the politicians would like that, but maybe they're afraid of a goth strip club most of all.

Argument 2 is the best treatment for a sitcom I've ever read.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home