Saturday, May 14, 2005

Are You Ready For Some Football?

Once upon a time I was, for the most part, pretty ambivalent about most sports. I enjoyed watching sports, but wouldn't usually seek them out. I enjoyed learning about the games, but could really do without just as well. I'd watch the World Series and the Superbowl each year, but there was one year where my friends and I watched the Superbowl ONLY for the commercials. (You could actually hear cries of, hurry back with that beer, they're going to a break.)

The exception was junior league hockey, specifically the Portland Winterhawks, and that was just a case of high school lust gone wrong. I'll post a follow-up post to explain that anomaly, as t would just take us off a very bizarre tangent and we may never find the road home again.

So I'm really a take it or leave it gal when it comes to sports. Then I get a temp job for a sports-entertainment company, and the rest is history. I still remember immediately after that happened, talking with friends and stating that if even 24 hours before I got that job anyone had ever suggested I would have a job with a sports team they would have been laughed out of the room. It was just a preposterous suggestion.

But I took the job (more because it was a cool group of people than because of an intense love of sport), and I think the sports fan gene clicked into gear at that point. There was a lot of faking involved - thanks to Sweetie for teaching me the infield fly rule in Version 1.0 of the relationship I did good at that, since most folks assume if you know the infield fly rule you must really know your baseball. There was some pretending I knew what was going on - I'll admit now that although I knew it was really fucking cool that I was witnessing the first 9 inning perfect game in Northwest League history I had to ask someone specifically what a perfect game was. But I became a legitimate fan of the game of baseball.

Then there was the football. Sweetie has long been a member of a fantasy football team, so his Sundays were spent watching said footall and I'd watch along. I've asked some pretty stupid questions, I'm sure, but I've actually been watching the Superbowl for the game the last couple of years.

We won't even go into women's basketball.

And now, in addition to the fantasy baseball team I've been participating in the last few years, I have joined a fantasy football league. What the?!?!?!

I still coud give a shit about the NBA. When I start caring about that you may want to stage an intervention.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannin said...

My love of the NFL is the hook I used to nab my husband. When we first met (9 years ago today) all we talked about was football -- how I loved the Cowboys, how he covered the Rams, etc. Good start to the relationship...

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home