Saturday, May 21, 2005

Good Workout CD #2

At the start of the Great CD Listening Project Sweetie predicted that Aimee Mann's I'm With Stupid would be the best of her CD's for working out.

Well, I'm 3/5 the way through the Aimee Mann, and of the three I've heard it's the only one that doesn't qualify as a good workout CD in my book.

Originally I thought that uptempo = better workout CD, but I'm starting to rethink that with today's winner: Bachelor No. 2 by Aimee Mann. I think rather than tempo, rhythym is much more important in determining a good song to work out to. If there's a strong rhythym section it helps keep you moving.

Case in point: the song Satellite -- not a fast song, but in 3/4 time with a really strong drum beat that almost PERFECTLY matched the pace at which I was walking the treadmill at that moment. That's the kind of thing that gets you going.

There are times when the CD gets a little too slow and mellow for perfection, but it always saves itself by bringing on a peppier tune before it gets too slow to continue with the workout.

This is not the CD for your totally aggro I must destroy the world and sweat away all my sins type workout. This is the CD for that day you'd really rather be sitting on the couch with your only physical activity being switching the channel on the remote and lifting the spoon of ice cream to your face, but you really must go to the gym. It's slow and mellow, but still keeps you moving. And it really helps the time pass quickly.

I set the treadmill for 45 minutes this morning and about 10 minutes in I thought I'd be bailing at the magic 30 minute mark, but I made it the full 45 and could have gone longer if I'd had the time.

People are actually starting to find this site by searching on "Good Workout Song," so I think I'm going to continue these posts as I come across more winners.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home