Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Good Workout CD #6

I bet you forgot I was on a quest to listen to all the CDs in our collection while working out, to determine what makes a good workout CD because it's been a while since I've posted a review. That would be because it's been a while since I've been to the gym. Just about 2 months as a matter of fact.

I'm glad that the first workout back had a good CD to go along with it. I've managed to lose a few pounds since my last trip to the gym, and the workout went better than I expected, but not as well as I had hoped.

The CD that got me through it: Barenaked Ladies, Retail Spectacle. It's a compilation of songs off their first four albums that was distributed to record stores for promotional use, and I picked up a copy once upon a time at 2nd Avenue Records in Portland. You could probably subsitute Rock Spectacle in a pinch.

Barenaked ladies write music made for working out to. It's poppy, wacky, and easy to sing along to. The mix on Retail Spectacle brings the lows in at just the right points. My only complaint is a flip of a complaint I've had in the past - when you work out to this CD (that's just over 56:00 long) you want to work out to the whole darn thing. It's not just that "If I Had $1,000,000" is the last track, but the mix with the highs and the lows just lend it to a complete listening. Today I only managed to make it halfway through, but I know it will make it into heavy rotation once the project is over. Especially since this is the only BNL I currently own on CD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home