Thursday, November 03, 2005

He LITERALLY wrote the book.

One of Sweetie's big pet-peeves is how people "mis-use" the word literally. But, according to the editor of the OED, this has been common usage for over 200 years. And, what we would take to be the "correct" usage is figurative as well.

If there were more demand for etymologists in the world I would totally pursue that as a career. In the meantime, can someone please tell me how the "flea-flicker" got its name? I posed this question to Sweetie a while ago, and not only didn't HE know the answer, but google didn't know the answer, either. We were able to discover about three different guys being credited inventing the play, but no information on why it's called that. And watching the play doesn't in any way remind me of flicking a flea, so I am totally stumped.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hugh said...

I've always thought that a flea-flicker was so named because the ball was representative of a flea, and the QB and the whatever-back were flicking it off between them, a la "shoo-fly, don't bother me".

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home