Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Just Call Me Martha

As I do every day I stopped at Whole Foods this afternoon to pick up supplies for dinner. Specifically, pork chops and mushrooms. The checker made a comment about pork chops and sauteed mushrooms for dinner tonight and I said, "Actually, mushroom risotto."

Her response, "Oh, you must be a really good cook!"

I mean, I like to THINK I'm a good cook, and folks have commented that I'm a good cook, but I never knew that the ability to make mushroom risotto is what qualified one as a good cook. In fact, I don't think I've ever made mushroom risotto before. It just seemed like it would go well with the pork chops and green beans that were on the menu.

2 Comments:

Blogger kaphine said...

How did the rissoto turn out? I've been afraid of trying to cook it.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Swankette said...

Risotto's just a fancy name for rice. Helps if you add the liquid gradually over medium heat, rather than just letting it simmer along. To tasty it up you can saute some onions (and/or mushrooms, or anything else you really darn well pleae) in a little bit of olive oil before you add the risotto. Let that cook for a minute before you start adding the liquid. Also, you can use broth instead of water.

I've been buying blocks of broth, that have 4-1 cup packages in them, which is perfect when you're cooking for two. So I just use one of those to the 1/2 cup risotto, which is perfect for 2.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home