Tuesday, March 01, 2005

The Amazing Race 7: Episode 1

Oddly, my overwhelming emotion after watching the first episode of The Amazing Race 7 is nostalgia. Specifically, for Team Cha Cha Cha from Season 2. If you weren't watching the race back then, Cha Cha Cha were a couple of FABULOUS gay guys who ran the race with MAJOR attitude. Most of their strategizing and airplane booking took place at the concierge desks of 5 star hotels. The squealed with glee when one of the concierges made arrangements for a Mercedes Town Car to drive them to the airport rather than a pedestrian taxicab. And when they had time to kill before leaving Hong Kong rather than just chilling at the airport they went SHOPPING! Eventually they came in fourth that season, but they ran the race with more style than any other team before or since.

Part of the reason that I am nostalgic for Cha Cha Cha is that the gay guy team of this episode (Lynn and Alex) STRIVE to be Cha Cha Cha, but fail oh so miserably. They annoy me. And given that no team has really started to piss me off yet (well, other than the damn Survivors), annoying is enough for me to root against you. Amazingly, they were not the sacrificial lambs that Sweetie and I suspected they would be.

Ryan and Chuck were the sacrificial lambs. Which saddens me, because they could have easily become the next team Cha Cha Cha in my book. With awesome one-liners like, "Drive it like you stole it" and playing the dumb southern card they could have gotten far were it not for a few minor miscalculations. The thing I will miss the most is their unique taxicab strategy that I have already named the "beep beep" strategy. Rather than just repeating "Fast, fast, fast, race, race, race" in the local language the friends would encourage the driver to "beep, beep, beep" as in "Honk your horn continuously to help us get ahead." It was also their strategy while driving. And dang if it didn't work at least part of the time! Alas, we shall see the beep beep no more this season.

Although it was either them or my team this time around, and I couldn't bear to have my team be eliminated first. I have hopes that they will wise up and do better from here out.

In addition to the standard excitement of the race this season we've got something else to be on the lookout for. I think that Debbie and Bianca (Sweetie's team) may be closet lesbians. They continually call each other baby, hug and kiss each other, and one was kissing on the fingertips of the other while riding in a cab along the way. I've got a pretty close relationship with some of my girlfriends, and if I were to go on the race with one of them I know we'd be super close, but I can not see myself calling them baby and kissing on them constantly. So now we'll be on the lookout to see if I was hallucinating, or there really is something there.

Finally, major style points to Patrick, the gay son. He's aligning himself with Rob so that he can be personally responsible for Rob's downfall. There's a lot of deviousness this go around. In the introductions many teams mentioned they had underhanded tactics planned, and there's already been at least one episode of blatant lying to put another team behind.

Stay tuned for another exciting season, kids. It's going to be a wild ride!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home